Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Event ID : 6398. The Execute method of job definition. Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchJobDefinition threw an exception. More information is included below.


Last weekend I added a Sharepoint 2010 Foundation server to my SCOM 2012 environment and also I installed SCOM reporting tools on it. It ran successfully a couple of days. By the way, the system was using Windows 2008 std operating system and SQL 2008 Express edition (bundled with Sharepoint).

One day, I started to receive several critical messages after creating a dozen of dashboards.

Event ID : 6398. The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Administration.SPSearchJobDefinition (ID 03892b58-25da-42ac-83dc-a0fc845d3322) threw an exception. More information is included below.

The device is not ready.


First action : I downgraded my Sharepoint 2010 to SP2 level. But the messages came back after restarting the server.
Second action : I upgraded SQL Express to SP3 level. This time, I had another messages ( but I dont think they are related with SP3,but they are here.)

Event ID 70 : The mount operation for the gatherer application d4236074-0931-4a56-866e-0d9592fe61ae has failed because the schema version of the search administration database is less than the minimum backwards compatibility schema version supported for this gatherer application. The database might not have been upgraded.


I spend a couple of hours and found the solution. After the Sharepoint upgrade, there are some manual commands to execute. The blog belowed suggests these actions for SP1 but I applied all at SP2 level and it was ok. In my test environment it took 3 minutes.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2011/07/06/potential-issues-after-installing-sharepoint-foundation-2010-sp1.aspx

"1. Open an Administrative command prompt. 
2. Change directory to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\BIN 
3. Run PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures"

No comments:

Post a Comment